Our Cairn Blog

You'll find helpful information about the Cairn Terrier breed, breeders, care and training, and current happenings at Crooked Creek Cairn Terriers.

Wednesday, August 29, 2007

What's the Difference?

Puppy A
Puppy BI once had a gentleman call and ask "Why are your puppies so much more expensive than this one in MO that I found?" "What's the difference?" He had found a $300 puppy in MO and he thought there must be a catch, but couldn't figure out what it was. After doing a lot of education over the phone about puppy mills, back yard breeders, quality, ethical breeding, etc, I told him to keep shopping and he'll figure out the difference. I told him to send me some pictures and information about a puppy that he was looking at, and I would give him my opinion and help him find something. He agreed and called me back in a few days to ask my opinion on a puppy he found. It was a gorgeous little brindle male that was show quality and very well priced for his quality at $650ish? I asked what the story was on the puppy, the pedigree, and it all sounded legitimate. The breeder was ill with cancer and her friend was selling her puppies for her here in IL. He said "Boy, I know what you mean. It's like a night and day difference between this guy and the $300 puppy!" I told him to give the breeder my name, I really liked their lines.

I didn't hear anything for probably a year and had forgotten about the breeder and puppy. I then got an email that the breeder was ready to sell all her Cairns, she was very sick with Cancer, and they wondered if I would be interested. As I looked at the pedigrees, I noticed the name Aquarius. I said "Who is Aquarius? My original lines dating back 17yrs ago have the kennel name Aquarius in them!?" She replied "That's Linda!" I'm not superstitious, don't necessarily believe in fate. But what a small world! Linda died before I had the opportunity to meet her and it made me sad for the family who had to arrange to get me the dogs all the way from TN. Those dogs were Keagan, Bridget, Thea, and their puppies including Cooper. The above photo in burgundy is that little show quality male's full sister, Bailie (our future breeding female).

I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings that may be breeding a puppy that appears as the other photo above. But I think it's apparent what the difference in quality is. If it were me, I would much rather pay a few more dollars for a cute Cairn appearing puppy with the expression of a Cairn. In the end, you're probably going to get a more healthy, long lived puppy. By only purchasing from reputable ethical breeders, you're also narrowing the market for puppy mills and bad breeders. Let economics and supply and demand, help us improve the lives of pets!

No comments: