Our Cairn Blog

You'll find helpful information about the Cairn Terrier breed, breeders, care and training, and current happenings at Crooked Creek Cairn Terriers.

Saturday, August 25, 2007

Cairn Terrier Characteristics

Cairn Terriers are a hardy breed. This makes them a good breed for families with children, who might otherwise "break" a toy breed. Children should be supervised closely with any dog, but with obedience and appropriate dominance training, the Cairn is a great family pet.

Cairns were bred to hunt vermin and these instincts still hold very strongly in the breed. They enjoy the outdoors, tracking scents and chasing squirrels! They must have a safe fenced yard due to their strong instincts to hunt, regardless of how well trained they are. If there is a squirrel across a highway, they WILL chase it and this leaves them vulnerable to injury and death. Therefore, a family interested in the Cairn must be prepared to keep them on a leash or within a fenced yard at all times.

I've been caught off guard myself when I trusted Maisie to stay with me in the front yard. Now you have to understand that Maisie is my shadow and is deeply attached to me. Regardless of what I'm doing, she's at my feet or nearby watching me or sleeping. Contrary to many Cairn personalities, she's extremely laid back and quiet!!! Well one afternoon, she took off running at full speed from me, yipping at the top of her voice in excitement. I look up to see the neighbor's cat, Tess, high tailing it across our yard, hopped the creek ditch between our yards, and across their yard they go.....towards a main busy highway!!!! I'm here to tell you "You can not trust them off the leash, regardless of how well trained they are!"

No comments: