Our Cairn Blog

You'll find helpful information about the Cairn Terrier breed, breeders, care and training, and current happenings at Crooked Creek Cairn Terriers.

Thursday, January 31, 2008

AKC Inspection

AKC (The American Kennel Club) inspects all breeders who breed more than 7 litters a year. They review documentation to ensure accurate record keeping, facilities to ensure they are appropriate, how many dogs are present, how they are identified, and the dog's physical conditions. I experienced my first inspection at Crooked Creek Cairn Terriers about 1 1/2yrs ago. I was so nervous but I got compliments from the inspector and that felt really good. It took a couple hours and I was amazed at how in depth it was. He even checked my breeding dates with whelping dates to ensure they were accurate. Thankfully I passed with ease.

I had my next inpsection on Tuesday. I knew what to expect, but it still makes me so nervous. It's like the "doggie police" coming to "inspect". That word just sounds scary! Thankfully we had some warm weather and I was able to bathe and groom everyone without chilling them. I scrubbed dog boxes, the kennel, and the puppy house to ensure everything was clean and smelled good. My documentation was already organized, but I double checked everything just to be sure. I was surprised that this inspection was pretty quick and easy.

As a breeder, I whole heartedly support inspection of breeders. AKC holds the highest standards and it's through these standards and inspections that breeders are held accountable. Mistakes happen to some breeders and I understand that. But I like knowing that if there are breeders with dogs that aren't in good physical condition, facilities aren't appropriate, and documentation isn't accurate, that someone will know about it and ensure it's corrected. AKC isn't perfect and I've had my records mixed up, received documentation for dogs and breeds I don't own, and I wonder how they keep anything straight. Some of the rules aren't as strict as I think they should be when it comes to DNA requirements. It leaves a lot of room for error or dishonesty. But in general, AKC stands for quality and I'm glad to be a member. The inspections weren't really anything to worry about for someone that follows the rules (and they aren't hard to follow). Sure they make you nervous, but when the inspector leaves I wonder why I was nervous. That was easy! :)

No comments: