Our Cairn Blog

You'll find helpful information about the Cairn Terrier breed, breeders, care and training, and current happenings at Crooked Creek Cairn Terriers.

Friday, February 1, 2008

Invisible Fencing

I posted a blog back in August about the dangers of invisible fencing. I collect information from credible rescources such as rescue organizations and experienced Cairn breeders. I have read time and again, that Cairns should not be contained by invisible fencing. They are so driven to chase squirrels that they will accept the shock to chase a squirrel but will not accept it to come back into the yard. I stated in my blog that "you will read...." I didn't have a strong opinion about the invisible fence until our own Cairn family in St Lois let their Chloe out to potty at dusk. When she didn't return they went out to find her dead, attacked by a coyote in her own yard. Invisible fencing, even if successful at keeping your Cairn in your yard, does not keep predators or aggressive dogs from entering your yard. I therefore said that I do not recommend invisible fences for dogs left unattended. IN OTHER WORDS if you don't have the option of any other fencing, and you would like to excercise your dog off lead while you are watching them, then it may be a viable alternative. I simply have presented the facts. I got several emails from a man who owns a company that sells invisible fencing who was upset that I presented negative information about invisible fencing. Although he agreed that coyotes could come into your yard and kill your Cairn, he knew of coyotes getting into physical fencing as well, so he didn't think that was a good argument. I personally have never had or heard of predators or dogs getting into a fenced yard that the Cairn can not get out of. He stated that it is only ignorance that invisible fencing doesn't work. I don't agree with his arguments because I don't care if the fencing keeps your dog in your yard, it doesn't keep predators out. Here is where I obtained some of my information and I'm certainly going to find these sources more credible than someone selling the invisible fencing systems. I only want what is best for our Cairn Terriers.
http://www.cairnrescue.com/adoption/faqs.htm#13
“Cairns are NOT suited for invisible fencing because they will most likely take a "hit" in order to chase something through the fence. However, they won't take the hit to get back home. In addition, invisible fencing does not prevent attacks from larger dogs. Likewise, a Cairn should not be left tied out in a yard for the same reason.”
http://www.ctcdenver.com/health.html#What%20kind%20of%20fencing%20will%20I%20need?
"No surprise then, that the Cairn, and other terriers, have a very high pain threshold… Therefore, the popular “invisible fences” should never be used to confine a Cairn. All the dog needs is to see a squirrel or rabbit beyond the fence boundary, and it is off on the chase. … In addition, any loose, aggressive dog can enter your yard with invisible fencing to attack, perhaps, kill your Cairn."
http://ctcnc.net/rescue.htm
Rescue will ask if there is a fenced yard because these guys are so independent, and prey driven. If there is no fenced yard, Cairns must be exercised on a leash. Cairns are bred to hunt vermin and will take any opportunity to protect you from them, real or imagined. An invisible fence will not work on these guys. They will run through the "pain" to get what they want but they won't run through the "pain" to come back home.

I still stand by my recommendation that the best alternative for fencing is solid fence panels set at ground level. Cairns should never be left unattended for long periods because they will dig. But the solid panels would be the safest to keep out other dogs, predators, and give your dog a safe environment to exercise and do their business. If you do not have a fenced yard, keep your Cairn on a lead. Dogs tied out are also subject to being attacked by strange dogs or predators. Picket fencing should be set very close together, as our 4" space is wide enough for our 9-10lb Cairns to squeeze under/through.

No comments: