Our Cairn Blog

You'll find helpful information about the Cairn Terrier breed, breeders, care and training, and current happenings at Crooked Creek Cairn Terriers.

Monday, October 8, 2007

Crooked Creek Cairn Terrier Update




Libby's puppies are growing and doing well. They've doubled their weight already and have fat little tummies. She is doing fine with all 6 puppies. We have 5 brindles and 1 dark wheaten female. I don't believe she has the brindle gene. Even though she is dark in color, she does not have the brindle striping pattern. They are adorable puppies!! Of course, I say that about all the puppies, but they're all so adorable!!

For those that have been asking about Miyah, she is growing! After being 2lbs until 13wks of age, she suddenly gained 1 1/2lbs in only 2 weeks. So we will continue waiting to see if she develops into breeding quality. Our hopes are that she will continue with her growth spurt. Her vet check was normal and healthy today, and she is very cute! She is a wheaten brindle.

We have a new baby coming in a couple weeks from our friend Breezyhollow in VA. Our little red girl is named Daisey and we're excited to welcome her home soon. Tami and I are very good friends and have shared several of my lines. I'm excited to get a line back!

Bailie & Lanie continue to be very nice quality and so far, both are making it into the breeding line up. It takes time to hold back puppies, monitor their growth, confirmation, and characteristics. Upon a healthy vet check at 6 months, they will make their final entrance into our breeding program.

Gracie has passed all her assessments and she is planning her first litter in the Spring of 2008. She is a remarkable cream with a black mask. She has that nice tail, ear set, short level back, and overall confirmation. We're very excited to see what she contributes at Crooked Creek Cairn Terriers! Her personality is quiet but happy go lucky and that is my favorite personality. I couldn't be more pleased. Chloe has been an outstanding producer and she has done it again.

We look forward to Cooper's first litters coming this Spring. He has continued to prove himself in confirmation, disposition, and health. He's a remarkable Cairn and has impressed 2 show handlers. However, I have decided not to hire a show handler at this time. Although it is something I truly think is valuable for the purposes intended, I can't help but want to avoid the political and dishonest games that occur in the show world. I just don't think I can participate at this time. I plan to continue raising show quality Cairns and will focus on charity, improving the breed, and education of the public to improve the lives of pets. Somehow I feel that these things are what really matters rather than show titles.

No comments: