Our Cairn Blog

You'll find helpful information about the Cairn Terrier breed, breeders, care and training, and current happenings at Crooked Creek Cairn Terriers.

Thursday, September 6, 2007

My Breeder's Blog

I started my blog to assist in keeping our Cairn family, who has grown to about 135 families, in communication. I think continuing education is important regardless of the field or subject. It's also been important to me, to educate about puppy mills, unethical breeding, and let knowledge become power to increase the quality of living conditions for breeding animals and pets across the nation.

It takes a detective these days to see an advertisement and decide if they're a scammer, unethical breeder, or ethical breeder. There has to be certain rules applied, in order to separate an advertisement that appears legitimate vs an advertisement that in the least leads you to believe they are either a scam or an unethical breeeder. I have attempted to help buyers understand these generalizations.

If you are a breeder, email me and I'd gladly offer my observations about the scammers who take my photos, identity, and make me feel vulnerable to a dishonest realm beyond my imagination. I'll also gladly educate about our breeder's code of ethics and how we should be raising our puppies so that buyers can easily see that we're an ethical breeder. Dogs deserve to have proper living conditions with mental stimulation, exercise, love, compassion, and wonderful homes. Puppies deserve to be born into sanitary, daily socialized, and lovingly cared for hands. They deserve to have a breeder ENSURE that they have a deserving forever home for the rest of their lives. If we as breeders, take nature into our hands, by planning offspring, we owe it to those lives to ENSURE that it is for the purpose of improving the gene pool and characteristics of those offspring. Sure we have to sell the puppies at a fee that demands a quality home and makes our budgets balance. But if someone believes that they can enter the world of breeding just to make a little cash on the side, they're going to get a wake up call eventually. If you breed long enough, you WILL have c-sections, emergency fees, and vet bills get big very quickly. It quickly eats away at any profit.

I have formed my breeding policies with the guidance of a published breeder's code of ethics. My policies have come about by "The bad apples" that I've seen through either my experiences or the experiences of fellow breeders. I try to keep the perspective of the buyer in mind, as well as the protection of the puppy's well being. By all means, my policies will change over time since I will continue to learn and grow in time. If a buyer doesn't like something about my policies, by all means they are welcome to purchase their puppy from someone else. I'm never more interested in a sale than the well being of my puppies and a great relationship with my buyers. The rewarding relationship with buyers is what it's all about! (beyond the love for the breed of course) I'd forgotten that while I was upset with somone sending me threatening hateful emails. But you know what? I've had the BEST experiences with families who are wonderful people!!!!! I can't let 3-4 people over the last several years, overshadow 135 WONDERFUL families!!!!!! If someone doesn't like or want my opinion, don't read my blog. But for those that want to learn, grow, and explore the world of Cairn Terriers with respect for nature and each other, welcome to my blog!

No comments: