Our Cairn Blog

You'll find helpful information about the Cairn Terrier breed, breeders, care and training, and current happenings at Crooked Creek Cairn Terriers.

Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Just a thought on Nature

Regarding nature and separation from the young. (after the previous blog about puppy development and 8wk old puppies annoying their mother!) Ever wonder why teenagers are so difficult!? Think about nature and the time period that a parent needs to separate from their young. Teenagers are growing up, needing independence and are preparing to step out on their own. Just like 8 week old puppies, weanling foals, etc, Teenagers annoy the heck out of their parents. My father once told me, parents are supposed to be annoyed by their teenagers and teenagers are supposed to be annoyed by their parents. That's how they are prepared for separation and stepping into the world on their own. I didn't quite understand what he meant until I became an adult. Now as I look at these little 8 week old puppies that are jumping in their mother's faces, licking, nipping, pouncing on their mom, no wonder she's ready to say "See Ya!" I hope I'm ready when my teenagers grow into adults and are ready to separate...... My father is a smart man. I hope my kids think that about me some day.

No comments: