Our Cairn Blog

You'll find helpful information about the Cairn Terrier breed, breeders, care and training, and current happenings at Crooked Creek Cairn Terriers.

Friday, February 23, 2007

Should I give my puppy Vitamin Supplements?

There is lots of conflicting information about diet and supplements. I tend to believe the information when they aren't trying to sell me something! It is very important to feed a quality dog food. Commercial premium dog foods are balanced and provide all the necessary vitamins, minerals, and appropriate calorie intake for the specified formula (formulations are catered to age and now even to breed size). There are lots of brand names and 'natural' commercial dog foods that do not contain preservatives and artifical dyes. They contain vital antioxidants, and other health promoting ingredients. Therefore it is not necessary and actually can be harmful to give vitamin supplements. High levels of some vitamins and minerals can cause a malabsorption of others. (I read the specific toxic effects of high levels of vitamins and the effects of malabsorption and can't find the source...I'll post it when I find it again). So if you want to place your dog or puppy on supplements, consult your veterinarian first. But in general, a high quality dog food is adequate complete nutrition.

No comments: