Our Cairn Blog

You'll find helpful information about the Cairn Terrier breed, breeders, care and training, and current happenings at Crooked Creek Cairn Terriers.

Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Crooked Creek Cairn Terrier Update for November

I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving. We had a great visit with family in Missouri. Even with the turmoil and stresses we're faced with on a daily basis, there is so much to be thankful for. Christmas is in the air and I'm still in shock that we're heading into December. I don't know where the time goes but it definately goes faster as each month goes by.

We received a preliminary report on Libby's puppies that died. It was a bacterial infection, but we are puzzled since antibiotics did not treat them. Further testing is being completed to see what strain of bacteria it was to see if it was a resistent strain, and we're waiting for recommendations on treatment and prevention for the future. I'm glad it wasn't viral and all of the dogs and puppies are doing fine here, so hopefully we won't have it occur again. We can only learn and move forward. With all the sanitizing I do, I'm still in shock that anything could have infected them. How do dirty puppy mills EVER raise puppies in the first place!? I even switched last year to a professional strength vet/kennel sanitizer instead of my good old Lysol that I used to use. I use bleach on the outside runs so the mama can't step in something and bring it back into the whelping box to her puppies. I just don't know what else I can do and it's frustrating to think you do a good job and still have something as simple as a bacterial infection occur. I know life isn't perfect, but I want it to be!!! LOL

I have planned upcoming litters for the year. The preliminary plans are posted on the Our Cairns page of the website. Sires and/or dates are subject to change if someone cycles at a different time than planned. We're holding upcoming litter choices for those that did not get a puppy recently, but we'll resume deposits after everyone has their puppy. In the meantime we'll accept a waiting list for next available puppies, and upon assuring that the puppies are available, we'll accept deposits.

I have several dogs that need new photos as they are maturing. Lanie & Bailie are just gorgeous and Miyah is still a puppy but so far she's making it into the breeding program. She's a beautiful gray brindle color and has everything headed in the right direction. Daisie is still as cute as a button! I'm really excited about the quality of the next generation for Crooked Creek Cairn Terriers.

No comments: